As a child of immigrants, Attorney Ral Obioha understands the hardships immigrants and refugees face in their quest to make a better life for their families and adjust to life in the United States. As such, as an Ode to her parents, Victor and Oby, who had the foresight to settle her to the United States, The Law Office of Ral Obioha, PLLC is committed to inspiring and empowering students who are immigrants, have immigrant parents, or who aspire to pursue career paths that focus on improving the lives of immigrants in America. It is our goal to honor the contributions of immigrants and children of immigrants to the United States. Under the Vic & Oby Scholarship fund, The Law Office of Ral Obioha, PLLC provides financial awards to low-income immigrant college and graduate students who live and/or attend school in any state in the United States. We provide an annual scholarship of $500 to cover tuition and other expenses for two selected college and/or law school students.
Recipients are selected for their academic excellence, financial need, and community impact.
In order to be eligible for the Vic & Oby Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be Foreign-born or have foreign-born parents
- Be accepted into, or is enrolled in, an accredited College, University or Law School in the United States for the upcoming school year.
- Have a Financial need
- Have a Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrate academic preparation and community/extracurricular involvement
- Use scholarship fund entirely for college, undergraduate or law school tuition and related expenses.
- A completed Vic & Oby Scholarship Application Form
- Proof of Identity (i.e., driver’s license/permit, passport, permanent resident card, unexpired and valid I-94, last-issued visa, etc.)
- An acceptance letter from an accredited college, university or law school within the United States
- School transcript or Bachelor’s degree and transcripts from an accredited college, with minimum unweighted and cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Any evidence of financial need (i.e. federal tax returns, W-2 statements, medical bills, etc.)
- 1-2 page typed (double spaced) personal statement or essay. The statement of essay should discuss the positive values you have drawn from being an immigrant in the U.S. and how the Applicant intends to use those values to create a better life for themselves and/or their family.
- OPTIONAL: Proof of current immigrant status (i.e. copy of visa, birth certificate, lawful permanent resident card, or naturalization certificate)
- Download and complete the Vic & Oby Scholarship Application Form
- A counselor or principal must complete the bottom portion of the application form on page three.
- The applicant must submit the completed and signed application alongside supporting documents by mail to:
The Law Office of Ral Obioha, PLLC
Attn: The Vic & Oby Scholarship Fund
P.O. Box 572984,
Houston, Texas 77036
Or by email in .pdf format to email@example.com.
- Applications will begin to be accepted on the 1 st day of March.
- All Applications must be received no later than the 15th day of July.
- A final decision will be made based on scholarship, achievement, and need. The recipient will be notified before the end of August.
- In August, the award checks will be issued, made payable to, and mailed to the recipients’ indicated college or university for his or her use.